Friday, February 20, 2009

Thursday, February 19, 2009



Our first morning on the island. Neither one of us slept that great last night, the bed must be hard or something. We were up at 6:30 to get our scuba stuff ready and out the door. We put all of our stuff into crates--they take it to the boat, set it up for us, switch it out for the 2nd tank dive and then rinse & store it for us for the day. Pretty nice...I am going to get spoiled!

We had our breakfast on the balcony and watched them get the boats ready for the day. They have all the boats on mooring balls right in front of the condos. It is amazing how hard they work to get the tanks to the docks, load the boats, etc. We were on the Nauti-Cat which is a catamaran sytle boat with 2 hulls so it makes the ride smoother.

We went out to the northern side because the weather was better than it had been. Well, we thought it was pretty choppy and actually were not feeling the best on our surface interval between dives. Our first dive was a drift dive along a wall...called something I don't remember...we stayed about 70 feet for about 45 minutes...will have to find the details. We were dealing with a pretty good current and just doing what we could to get use to be under water and not losing the group. We did drop down on top of the reef and spotted an eel slinking around on the reef. It was neat to see some sea life right away but that was about it for that dive but the reef was beautiful.

After our surface interval where we both felt queasy, we dove a site I believe was called Roger's Cove or something. There was a story behind it but I couldn't watch the guy and listen...I had to watch the horizon so not to get sick. We went on the second dive to about 50 feet for about 50 minutes. We saw bigger fish than we are use to...not huge but probably 15 inches long. We also saw a big stingray hanging out in the sand...didn't get to see him swim though. We did see a smaller turtle--probably about 2 feet long...he was having a hard time swimming against the current. We also saw a crab on this dive plus many fish. Will have to get the fish ID card out and name all of them...parrotfish, grouper, angelfish, snapper, trigger fish and trumpet fish.

We both thought the morning dives were cold. Jason decided to wear his 3ml shorty on the second dive and I am going to wear my beanie tomorrow to see. According to Meghan, the old CN boss lady...I will look stupid but be warm! I doubt I will be warm. We got back to the condo about 12:30...had some lunch..then an hour nap...then decided to go do some geocaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment