
We packed up camp once we woke up...the plan was to go for a hike this morning at Bryce and then head up to Capital Reef for two nights. We are going to drive the Scenic Highway 12 thru the Grand Staircase-Escalante area. We decided to hike the Navajo/Peekaboo Combination loop. It is a hike of about 5 miles with a lot of elevation change. The Navajo trail has a section called Wall Street which is just amazing. There are tall trees growing in between the hoodoos. We started at Sunset Point...with my eyes closed :) Wow, do I look stupid!

It is very hard to see this picture--I am in the upper left corner of the store. We should have taken a picture from the top--the trail goes in a long S curve right here...probably 8 switchbacks. The rock is piled up to look like bricks.

Some views from Wall Street...



There were a bunch of Cairns on a log along the trail and I decided to add one to it!

Wasn't it so nice of Jason to keep a smile on my face while we were hiking? Jason usually hikes in front of me so I got to look at this all morning!

Some other neat views from the trail...



Some really neat hoodoos and natural holes in the rocks...

This is another example of the switchbacks I explained above...

Me on the trail...

There was a natural bridge along the trail...two actually!

Here is a sign and a picture of the Sinking Ship...the sinking ship is almost directly in the center of the second picture.


After we got done hiking in Bryce, we hit the road for Capital Reef. We took our time getting there...enjoying the scenery along the way. We stopped at Calf Creek to check out the campground since the plan was to camp there on Tuesday night. We then continued up the scenic Highway 12 to Capital Reef. The views were just amazing! We arrived at Capital Reef National Park around 5pm...found a campsite and set up camp.

We had BBQ Chicken for dinner with rice and veggies...with Jamaican All-Spice. Why? Because All-Spice spices all foods!

After dinner we went for a walk around the park...and saw a field full of mule deer!

We went for a night hike on the Fremont River Trail. It starts right by the campground and is about 2 1/2 miles long. It starts really level and paved for the first 1/2 mile along the river...then gets harder with some elevation gain and some rock hiking. There was a brochure that explained the history of the sites and it was really interesting. We started the trail in the daylight but it was dark by the time we reach the top of the trail...so I was very happy to get back down to the level part of the trail. We played a few games of cribbage before we went to bed...I am pretty sure I kicked Jason's butt :) Of course, I could be remembering it wrong.
I will end with a recycled picture from yesterday's post. It was actually taken today! We hiked about 7 1/2 miles today...total of about 18 miles total for the trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment